One of the most confusing parts of macro tracking to new clients, is how to take favorite recipes and calculate the exact macros per serving. Nobody wants to give up those dishes because it’s too confusing, and they shouldn’t have to. In order to give you a step-by-step tutorial on how to create these recipes in My Fitness Pal, we found a fun Valentine’s Day treat on Let’s Dish. Warning: NOT macro friendly.
Strawberry Muddy Buddies
Ingredient list as written on Let’s Dish:
- 1 cup strawberry cake mix, divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 12 ounces white melting chocolate, divided
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 7 cups rice Chex cereal, divided
- 1 cup Valentine’s M&M’s (optional)
1.Measure and weigh half of the cake mix.
Next, reset the scale to zero.
Measure and weigh half of the powdered sugar.
Place these two ingredients into a gallon-sized zip lock bag. Repeat with the second half of the ingredients.
Divide the Chex cereal between two large bowls (after weighing).
2. Weigh half of the chocolate chips
Place these in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for one minute on 50% power. Stir and place back in microwave at 50% for 30 second intervals, stirring each time until melted.
3. Pour melted chocolate over one bowl of cereal and stir until evenly coated.
4. Place the coated cereal into zip lock bag with cake mix and sugar, seal, and toss to coat.
5. Repeat step 2 and add red food coloring before coating cereal. Continue by repeating steps 3 and 4.
6. Measure and weigh M&M candy
7. Combine both bags as well as candy and and weigh final amount.
8. Now you will need to create a recipe by opening the My Fitness Pal app. Recipes can be found by clicking “More”. You will start by naming the recipe and listing the number of servings. In this case, the servings will be 919 (the weight in grams of the entire recipe). Remember that the photos above only show measurements for half of the ingredients in order to make half of the cereal pink in color for Valentines. The cake mix box listed a serving as 43g which means the recipe used 6.5 servings.
You can now add this recipe to your diary. Remember that 1 serving = 1 gram.
Happy Valentine’s Day from the coaches of Food Tetris!