What is Flexible Dieting

This post is for the person that is working out hard, eating clean, but has no energy. You’re at the gym everyday and your body isn’t changing or maybe your clothes aren’t fitting the way you’d like them to.

You’ve been eating the way you should be, working out hard, and 6 months or more into your journey of high intensity training like CrossFit. You felt an initial surge in energy and your strength and endurance have improved, but you’ve hit a wall and the progress has plateaued.

At your gym you’ve been hearing people talk about flexible dieting and how it has helped them not only in CrossFit but in their day-to-day lives.

So here is your answer, in a nutshell (you may or may not eat the nut, depending on if its fits your macros, haha)…

  • Flexible dieting is a system of eating foods. A person has a set number of “macros” or macronutrients to eat each day (protein, carbs and fat).  
  • Flexible dieting is flexible. It allows you to eat what you want as long as you hit the macro numbers your coach gives you. Of course if you fill yourself with garbage to hit those numbers, you won’t feel the best and your energy levels will be up and down like a rollercoaster. Micronutrients (vitamins) are just as important which is why comprising 90% of your diet with whole foods and the other 10% with your treats is the optimal way to go.
  • It will help you eat consistently. People have no idea how much they eat on a day to day basis. Imagine you take a long trip in your car every day, and some days you fill the tank up all the way and other days you only fill it up halfway. This doesn’t work.  You need to fill it up to the right level every day, and flexible dieting (with the help of your coach) will help you do that!
  • It’s actually fun!  We called it Food Tetris because it’s a game of sorts. We encourage people to look at it as a personal challenge, a fun game to see how you can make it work for you on a day to day basis.

 

It’s pretty simple once you get the hang of it. It helps you understand what different foods are made of so that you can pretty much track anything you want, even if there’s no nutrition label. Many people try to do this on their own with varying results. We suggest you use a coach that has experience and knows the ins and outs of the system. Their experience will help you avoid unnecessary mistakes that people make when doing it on their own and the accountability of checking in weekly helps keep you on track.

 

If you have questions, email us at info@foodtetrisnutrition.com

Amanda Ruhl is the owner of CrossFit Lynchburg.  She is CF-L1, CF Kids and FMS certified and has 7+ years experience in helping people become stronger, leaner, healthier people.